Rules are part of school! Consider using the following as guidelines for your student workers to keep things running smoothly:
- Do treat your school like a real business—take inventory, give receipts, and know your customer.
- Do involve your students! They'll bring excitement and energy to your store and you will give them a chance to get some great experience. Plus, who knows more about what students want than a classmate.
- Do pay attention to the bottom line—adding a small mark-up to the price will make your school store profitable. And because Geddes products are priced to sell, you'll still be able to offer your students great school supplies at affordable prices.
- Do offer the basic supplies your students need, then spice it up with some fun items too! Along with our school specialty of exclusive novelty pens, pencils, and other school supplies, we offer all of the traditional school supplies everyone's familiar with.
- Do call Geddes with questions! We're here to help you make your store as successful as possible. You can reach us toll-free at 1 (888) 431-1722.
- Don't get too caught up in the business and forget to have FUN.
- Don't forget to get input from your students workers on decisions you make about your store—they are your target market.
- Don't overlook the obvious—pricing stickers, signage, advertising, etc! Your store will run much more efficiently if everything is clearly labeled with its price.
- Don't make purchasing decisions without consulting your teachers—kids are buying supplies for their classes, so they are the best way to know what your store should offer.
- Don't throw your GEDDES catalog away! It will be a great resource to you in running your store.
Guidelines for Student Workers:
- Work in pairs whenever possible
- Keep the store and money locked up whenever unsupervised
- Be polite to ALL customers
- Keep the store neat
- Record all sales
- Report all problems immediately
- Do not play with store merchandise
- Never leave the store unattended
- Do not talk to friends while working
- Always put money from sales directly into the cash box or register
- Take your time
- HAVE FUN!